October 18, 2017

Fall means Fitness.

By Lucinda Gruber

Well, I took a brief hiatus from blogging while I was off doing fellowship interviews for endocrinology. Two of my co-chiefs (Dan and Dagny) are applying for pulmonary/critical care fellowship, and Hannah is going to be working in General Internal Medicine next year. So, we've been operating with a bit of a skeleton crew in the chiefs office. But now, 3 delayed flights and 1 hotel snafu later...interviews are over and I can get back to some serious archiving here.

A lot happened in the last month. For one thing, FALL IS HERE! I'm not sure how many of you have experienced a Minnesota Fall, so let me tell you about how the crisp air hits your face while you're walking to work and degree of crunchy leaves covering the walking trails. Gourds and creepy witches are everywhere, and I've had my fair share of Honeycrisp already this season. We are gearing up for our Fall Fest (pictures to follow next week), and I have it on good authority that this will include pumpkin carving. So, what I'm trying to say is that Fall in Rochester is basically the same feeling you get with that first sip of pumpkin spice latte but with zero calories and you don't have to wait in a line at Starbucks for 15 minutes. It's just free and there for you to enjoy.

In other news, Fall brings the best running weather. I've had a chance to enjoy some nice runs through Kutzky Park. (This is an up and coming area with new apartments and located within walking distance of downtown.) Meanwhile, some members of our program are getting even more serious about fitness. The Heritage Classic 5k, which is sponsored by the Dan Abraham Healthy Living Center  (our gym), happens every year as part of our Heritage Days at Mayo. This is a chance for us to celebrate Mayo's history and culture and always includes an ice cream social. Several of our residents participated in the race. Here are Jessica and Brody Slostad (PGY 2s) who couples matched here in 2016!

Our program director, Amy Oxentenko, and two of our faculty, Emily Leasure (primary care internal medicine) and Laura Raffals (gastroenterology), ran in the 10 mile Medtronic race a few weeks ago. Brandon Huffman (PGY 3) and his wife, Chelsey, also completed the race. Their son, Oliver (below), did not participate. Maybe next year... 🙂

We also have a marathoner among us! Navine Nasser-Ghodsi (PGY 3) completed her 7th marathon (2nd one in residency) at the Medtronic event. She finished 136 out of 3417 women and qualified for the Boston marathon. Congratulations, Navine!

We have several upcoming events so we will keep you updated on the blog. Feel free to check out our Facebook page or Instagram from more real time updates.

Tags: News, Wellness, WellnessWednesdays