November 24, 2017

Happy Thanksgiving!

By Lucinda Gruber

Well, with the crisp air and falling leaves comes my favorite holiday. BLACK FRIDAY!!!

Okay, yes. I'm being a little sarcastic here. I'm talking about Thanksgiving - a holiday dedicated to good food, family time, and napping. Sounds great! And, as promised, this Thanksgiving was a great one. We had a gorgeous mild day with 40 degree weather and some bright sunshine. My parents and younger sister made it safely to town despite a flight delay and my crazy driving. My co-chief, Dagny, and one of her friends, Evan, (a neurologist) joined us for some serious turkey, dressing, gravy, and pie. Dagny made some festive empanadas, and Evan brought the wine. My boyfriend, Kevin, managed to get a few minutes between his pages on his home-call to join us for lunch as well. My little townhouse was packed full of calories and family!

Around the Rochester area, residents who were lucky enough to have the day off were hosting and attending potluck dinners with all the fixings.

And, for the residents who worked yesterday, our hospitals hosted a free turkey lunch and dinner with turkey, potatoes, cranberry sauce and even some pie. From what I hear, it was very tasty! Mayo does this every year on Thanksgiving and Christmas as a "thank you" for the employees who work on these holidays. And, despite my skepticism, every year I am put in a great mood by the food and camaraderie this event brings out! Here is our MICU and some medicine teams enjoying some Vikings football and free lunch! (And, if my brother-in-law asks, I never said the work Vikings in a blog post. As far as he knows I am Packers all the way. :))

And for the more adventurous of us, the annual Turkey Trot was a nice way to start the day. Here is our procedure service, off to get some fresh air before doing some lumbar punctures later in the day. Kathryn and Sae were joined by Dr. Deanne Kashiwagi, one of our APDs, and they had a great time from the look of things!

Tags: About Rochester, Wellness