December 22, 2017

Holiday Festivities Galore!

By Lucinda Gruber

While last week was for cookie decorating and pet therapy, this week was dedicated to some additional wellness and fun. We completed our second annual stuffed animal drive with impressive success! Over 50 stuffed animals were donated by our residents and will be given to children (and their siblings) who are patients in the hospital on Christmas Day. Of course, completing the drive meant that we had to relinquish our ownership of "Fat Cat" who became a little bit of a notoriety in his week at the chief's office. He sat in Dagny's chair while she was out of town. He chilled by the snacks, greeting visitors for several days. And, he made us laugh - because he is just a chunky, adorable cat with so much character. I hope a special kid finds a little bit of delight when they meet him!

We also had our winter concert, which featured singing and instrumental solos from several of our residents (and a smattering of chiefs). There were holiday routines and classic favorites. Many residents attended just to enjoy the music! Dr. Oxentenko brought her daughter, who said she would not be performing in the next concert...and certainly not in a mother-daughter duet! Haha!

And, to cap off the week, we hosted Hot Chocolate Rounds in the Dom 3 workroom! It was complete with peppermint flavoring, marshmallows, and whipped cream!

I'm taking a hiatus from the blog for the next week as I'm traveling home to Kansas for Christmas. I haven't been home on Christmas Day for four years, so I'm looking forward to a nice holiday with my family. I should also have some good material for future posts because there is ALOT of personality in my family with a side of sarcasm. Add in my dad's apathy for personal protective equipment, my mom's baking skills, and their cat's predilection for climbing into kitchen cabinets and biting people's ankles...and it promises to be a good time!

Tags: #HotChocolateRounds, #ResidentsAsMusicians, Social Committee, Wellness